Right to Information , an act to provide for setting out the practical regime of right to information for citizens to secure access to information under the control of public authorities, in order to promote transparency and accountability in the working of every public authority. It goes without saying that an informed citizen is better equipped to keep necessary vigil on the instruments of governance and make the government more accountable to the governed. The Act is a big step towards making the citizens informed about the activities of the Government.
As per the Act, “Information” means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force.
As per the provisions of the Right to Information Act-2005, a citizen can ask for the information in relation to a public authority which is established, constituted, owned, controlled or substantially financed by funds provided directly or indirectly by the State Government by an application to the Public Information Officer. The Right to Information is a right conferred on the citizens of India only.
Since, the Right to Information includes a right to inspect the records, to take copies of them and also samples of goods inspected. In the process of implementation, the Right to Information Act-2005, the University is receiving a number of applications from various individuals for supply of information within the time limit prescribed in the Act.
In this connection, the Principal and all Heads of the various departments of the college are designated as Public Information Officers (PIOs) of the College and a Senior Faculty Member/Administrative Officers of college designated as Assistant Public Information Officer (APIO).
- To promote transparency and accountability in the functioning of the government.
- To set up a practical regime for giving citizens access to Information that is under the control of public authorities.
- To empower the citizens as the law will promote the participation of the citizens in official decisions that directly affect their lives.
- The effective implementation of RTI Act will build public trust in the government functioning.
- It will lead to effective and efficient records management technique that is needed to facilitate the provision of information in response to public interest.